Saturday, August 9, 2008

Guadalajara - Churches, Fountains, Plazas & Poolhalls






Once I had lost my mind in the inexpensive costume jewelry stores (necklaces and earings for 1 dollar) and shoe markets (got a pirated pair of Coach sling backs for 20) we headed out of the centre and into the plaza area.  It was very hot under the sun in the middle of a long plaza that reminded me of Venice.  There was a fountain in the middle and it was surrounded by arched walkways on the sides with shops.  The architecture was delighful; the opera house, the spanish colonial buildings and the cathedral were stunning.  Jorge took me into a Mexican Cantina, which is a beer hall really.  "Are women allowed here?", I asked him.  Of course, he answered, but not usually unaccompanied.  We passed through so I could get a good look.  It reminded me of any small town beer hall; lots of tables and lots of beer and lots of men.  Like a mexican legion!  For my own good, Jorge had me by the waist or with his hand on the back of my neck leading me; as we walked;  this is the very common and typically Mexican way of stating to all who are watching that this woman is not available and in other words; hands off everyone.  Lots of staring was going on.  There aren't a ton of gueras here, not with eyes like mine.  It felt weird, but I was glad Jorge had me by the neck until we exited.  

Thankfully it clouded over and off we continued to get back to the carpark.  Never did find a cheap matching fake Coach bag, but then Jorge was running out of patience so I didn't push it.  Instead, we drove to his son's place and then walked to the billiards hall, so they could visit and we could all play pool.  Ivan is sweet, 19 and a musician.  We placed our bottle of coke on the little platform near the pool table and racked em up.  I never told Jorge I used to have a pool table at home as a teenager.  They played the first game and then I played the winner.  I beat both Ivan and then Jorge, although it was close.  I think Jorge was surprised; and I wasn't about to let him win just to soothe his Mexican ego either. ha.  I love playing pool with guys; it reminds me of playing the game with my brothers when I was young.  And I don't know, it's just so basic and brings everyone down to the same level.  Except when you kick ass and you're a girl. ha.

No comments: