Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bellydance Event





It's hard to leave a place just when things are starting to come along.  The weekend workshop of bellydance was interesting and I met some really nice people, and got to know more of Aisha, who organized it.  She is young, 21 and dances very nicely which I got to see at the Noche Turke last Saturday.  There were a few instructors from Guadalajara, and Monterray and some danced well and some didn't. Some danced too long and some danced too much, and some didn't get to dance at all. A typical Mexican evening of disorganization, but none of it due to Aisha, who worked her buns off getting this all to happen.  But I see it everywhere I go;  the lack of communication when it comes to an event or a happening in town or any kind of gathering.

Regardless of the glitches, we all had fun and that's what counts.  The owners of the dance studio Sylvia and Miguel are some of the most fabulous people I have met, so welcoming and warm.  Pili, a mother of one of the students who I met at the workshop, invited me and my friend to their table and introduced us to all her family.  The event was in De Santos, a chic restaurant with chill lounge on the open air top floor, surrounded by sofas and cushy furnishings and long drapes.  I invited my buddy Miguel, who just  broke up with his girfriend after two months, to come out with me, to take his mind off things.  We sat at a cool white sofa and table. Abdel my surfing buddy, also showed up and sat with us, along with Gabriela who I had just met earlier that evening at a pub with Umberto and had invited her along.   She happened to have worked with Miguel and they knew each other, so what a coincidence.  She is crazy and from DF (Mexico City) In Mexico, they call Mexico City "Distrito Federal", or D F for short.  If you're from there you're a Chilango. 

So, lots of interconnectedness that night and a cool vibe.  The food was lacking but the company was much better.

Photos are of Miguel, me, Abdel, Gabriela and some of Aisha and all of us dancing. One is of Sylvia, Aisha and I, the three bailarinas.

1 comment:

Christine said...

where are you girl?
no access to blogging?
I am trying to be diligent on my blog and soon will be caught up