Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Beautiful Women, Beautiful Place






A wonderfully serendipitous connection was made in Yelapa with a fabulous woman named Rose, pictured here.  While working for a conference on compassionate listening at Casa Isabel, I got to meet all the women participating in it.  A small group had come down to the Barracuda to enjoy sushi and I had the pleasure of dancing for them.  Rose and I were kindred spirits and when she asked me to come visit her in Big Sur, I had certainly never expected to ever be in California to take her up on the offer.  But lo and behold, things just worked out in that direction and in a little over a month,  here I was, her living room with a labrador mix named Red (pictured here) in her cute little cottage overlooking the sea and eating eggs benny at the Big Sur Inn, where she works.
She is so full of life and has many wonderful stories she shared with me, as we both sat like two teenagers on her bed surrounded by wooden framed window overlooking her gardens, sipping tea and blabbing our heads off.  I only hope I am as vivacious as she is when I am her age.  She embodies that young girl spirit.
Her garden was a gem, full of colour and texture where I got to sit and soak up the sunny afternoon, overlooking the biggest and most beautiful part of the rugged pacific coast I have yet to see.  I saw whales, amazing birds, including a condor, and also a skunk on the way to dinner along the path. Here, I felt so warm and welcomed.  Big Sur reminded me of Yelapa with respect to the amazing energy there and friendliness of the people. Lots of artists, open and relaxed people, a think-different kind of culture.  Rose showed me art galleries, gardens, and treated me like a queen.
One night at dinner, I sat beside David Crosby, the musician.  I didn't notice, but someone pointed it out.  One of the highlights of being in Big Sur was spending the day at this amazing place called Essalyn Institute, where I was fortunate to meet Cheryl, a wonderful woman (friend of a friend) who invited me to visit as a guest.  I had a two hour massage, soaked in the hot pools, had lunch and a tour, then read my book on the lawns, watched the amazing surf against the rocks, enjoyed the gardens and napped.  It was a fantastic day and I am so grateful for the magical connection made with Cheryl.  A stunningly beautiful, courageous and loving-hearted woman whom I will never forget.

No comments: