Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ceviche & Crazy Glue





Since I didn't have to work today because of the immigration crackdown, my buddy Mario, feeling badly, he tells me - for the dumb drama that happened,  and wanting to make up for it - shows up at my door with shrimp, conch, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and limes.  "I'm making you Ceviche, he says.  "You just sit there and let me do everything." Who am I to argue?  The only thing I did was disinfect all the veggies and do a little chopping until I got in trouble and had to sit down.

The shrimp were beautiful and the conch was a type called callo, chopped up and very soft and sweet.  Apparently the most expensive seafood here.  It was also Mario's day off.

We had a feast, with tostadas, beer and a little bit of hot sauce.  He broke my favourite lime squeezer and felt awful.  I'm sure tomorrow there will be a new one delivered to me; Mario is like that.

I'm off to Salsa dance tonight with Abdel, even though I still don't have any decent shoes.  The ones I did buy broke the same night I wore them at work.  The rubber heel bit came off and David next door gave me some crazy glue to fix it.  I was in the back room trying to get the damn stuff out of the tube, but to no avail.  I took a fork and tried to make the hole bigger, thinking it wouldn't be good if the fork slipped and rammed into my thumb.  Of course, that's exactly what happened and then I had no shoe, plus a bleeding thumb.  Not a lucky night.  It is still very numb and my shoes are toast because now I can't find the black bit, even though David brought me a new tube of crazy glue the night we went to see Batman.  That was very nice, and  well, it's good to have on hand.  Maybe I can glue my lime sqeezer back together.

Lesson #1:  never open a tube of crazy glue with a fork.
Lesson #2:  never buy high heeled shoes made in China.
Lesson #3:  when someone brings you shrimp, let them make you ceviche.
___________________

No comments: