Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Heat & Drama



It's hot.  I think it's at least 35.  Is it possible to have more than 100 percent humidity?  It feels like 300 percent today.  It hasn't rained in three days, not that the rain really does much to cool things off.  It's a nice break but then if it turns sunny right away, it becomes an even hotter sauna or I should say - steam bath.

My fan is my best friend.  My friend Lisa from Canada asks me "just how hot is it there?"  I don't really have an accurate temperature because I don't watch tv or have a weather channel access.  But I'll give you this as an example.  I had some breath mints I brought in my purse from Canada.  The kind that are tiny and white, like little pills, and pack a whallop of mint in your mouth.  They come in a little plastic case like a sliding match box.  Yesterday I went to get one from what I remembered was 4 remaining and all that was there was a tiny clear puddle.  It took me a moment to realize what it was;  a melted puddle of breath mints turned liquid.  All melted . . . just sitting on my bookshelf.  

I had some trident gum packaged up sitting in my purse for a few days and the other day couldn't figure out what this green goo was at the bottom of my bag. . .it was melted trident, just from being in my purse inside my apartment.

Wearing makeup is a lost cause, since it also melts.  Some people cary small terry towels over their shoulder, to wipe their face when they're out walking in the street.

Yesterday Eva, my little sister (who worked with me as the other hostess at the Blue) and I took the bus to Plaza Caracol.  We thought it would offer us some relief to get to a mall, but the bus we took was the busiest one of all and chock full of people and self-absorbed tourists who didn't  understand the concept of moving to the back.  It was excruciatingly hot and when we finally got into the mall we breathed a giant sigh of relief.

But now it is evening, and the rain has finally come.  I just got back from picking up my laundry from around the corner, when 10 minutes later, it started hammering down. As I approached the laundry, the older lady, who was standing around said as if it was the most normal comment to make: "I'm waiting for the rain."   It's something to look forward to after 3 boiling hot days. It's coming in my balcony because it can't drain fast enough through the holes in the bricks.  If I can get my audio movie sample working, I'll post it and you'll be able to hear it.  It is awesome to experience a rain like this.

In the Fuego en la Sandra telenovola, Sandra gets a call one quiet night from a woman who says she is Mario's wife and why am I hanging around with a married man?  Well, that was shock but also hard to believe.  I diplomatically hung up on her and then I asked my friend Mario a couple of  days later what the heck's going on.   Well, it turns out she isn't his wife, but is the mother of his 5 month-old boy.  I knew he had a baby son; Mario talks fondly of him and how cute he is.  The mother was visiting from another town so Mario could see him.  I guess she's jealous, even though they aren't together anymore.  According to Mario, she is emotionally  blackmailing him so he can keep seeing his son.   She went through his phone to find texts from people, who she assumes are his girlfriends and then pretended to be him, by using his phone to text me messages.  Luckily, I was too busy to answer them!  It finally all came out in the wash and Mario and I had a good talk about it.  I have no real reason to disbelieve  Mario who is and has been a good friend, and my instinct tells me he is a good person. Right now,  it's all okay but I do not really want to be living in a Mexican soap opera.
Lesson #1:  Ask questions first
Lesson #2:  Things are not always as they seem
Lesson #3:  Wait for the less crowded bus to come along


No comments: