Saturday, May 24, 2008

Between Two Worlds

So, I'm off the island.  I feel like I'm on some reality show or something.  I've been out of pop culture for so long, I can't even remember the name of that popular tv show. Oh, yeah, Survivor, that's it.

Javier saw me off at the pier and I said goodbye to all my buds the night before.  It was sad, actually.  I hate goodbyes, I really do.  I sure have been getting a lot of practise lately.

I get to this all inclusive resort and it seems so surreal.  I mean really, do people think this is Mexico?  It's some kind of fantasy island.  It's a luxurious zoo where they keep the tourist in surrounded by a big wall.   I felt like some spanish conquistador, when the natives were their slaves.  I could not bear it at first, but what helped was when I started talking to and getting to know the staff.  Of course, they were not slaves, they worked there and most loved their job . .  they all were sweet, seemingly happy go lucky and eager to please people.  Even when they're off-shift.  (No, I don't mean that -  you guys all have dirty minds!)   The golf cart drivers were my favourite.  A couple of them, Gaston and Jose Juan, who I got to know well during the week, waited every morning for me, one or the other, outside the room area, to give me a lift to the conference centre and gab for a few minutes.  They didn't seem to have too much to do when it was quiet.  The place is immense and my room seemed to be the absolute furthest away from where I had to be.  In low season, they employ 5000 staff.  It is being taken to another level and will be the biggest resort in the world, probably very soon, according to one staff member.  Crazy.

And I was off alcohol, so what a waste of an all-inclusive!  I made up for it in papaya and mango and huevos ranchereos.  Aracely, was the lovely young woman who worked in the breakfast room and by the end of the week, we exchanged info and were sad to part.  I guess I wasn't the usual tourist they were used to.  They were all proud of their own pueblos, and shared info about what kinds of things were there to see.  Seemingly many of the staff are from somewhere else besides Cancun.

So, the first day I'm there, there's nothing to do, since my room won't be ready till 3 and it's 11am.  I register for the conference. My bags are stored.  I've bonded with the luggage guys and know their stories, and all I have is a bathing suit in a plastic bag which I dug out before I headed to the main lobby.  I never did go swimming.  I walked around sort of lost for a while.  It's really not easy to navigate this place.  I found a L'Oreal salon, so that was a good thing to tuck away for the future pedicure and hair cut.  Then I found the gym and a sign that said Salsa Lessons at 12:00.  It was 12:15. hm.  I had to see what kind of person worked in a resort at a gym, giving salsa lessons to  (I'm sorry to my amerian friends here) the average fat, lazy, sunburned, vacationing american.  Yeah it's a stereotype and no, I don't have any american friends who fit that description, but oh my god, this resort was loaded with them.  Steretypes exist for a reason, you know.

I peeked in, hanging in the wings.  There were three typical looking housewives (please, no offense to my girlfriends who are stay at home moms) and one taller fit mexican who was leading them in the basic steps to build on a little routine.  They were having some real rhythm problems, and what was intriguing was that they all were from the states, but with latina backgrounds.  Wow, I realized: they had lost their connection with their own heritage and here they were taking salsa lessons at a resort.
Edgar, the teacher, practically forced me to join in, (it's his job of course) despite my pleas that I was happy to just watch.  He would not take no for an answer.  Here I was, the only guera in the group, and well, let's just say I didn't give it all away.  When the little routine was over, and the ladies left,  I asked Edgar, who had more time available if we could just dance salsa together for fun.  Of course.  That's what I wanted.  He was a pretty good dancer, and was kind of surprised by me.  I had been holding back!   We got to talking and soon he wanted me to teach him some bellydance moves.  Too funny.  He even had some music.  Then I find out from him, there is an opening for a dance teacher like me at resort, and that he was going to talk to his boss the next day.   I'm open to anything and especially a gig at resort where it's pretty light work for good money.

So before I even checked into my room, I had connected with a great person,  knew the luggage boys, had a lead on a job, and was contemplating staying in Cancun and would have help finding a place, etc. if I needed it.  That kind of thing really blows me away.  After a couple of days of contemplating and waiting for an interview, they decided to hire from within, and just get another fitness trainer, not a dance teacher.  Too bad.  But is was a fun idea while it lasted.

The conference was really interesting and although really expensive, I made some wonderful contacts, got to know brilliant business people and their companies,  expanded my realm of possibilities and learned a lot about investing, currencies, alternative health and more.  As it's bound to happen, a lot of the gang I was hanging out with all week, ended up at the disco  -  and when some of the ladies found out what I did, they wanted some lessons.  We turned out to be the hit of the disco, and shut it down.  The music was awesome. Why can't every night be like that?

No comments: