Saturday, December 6, 2008

First Night Back in Mexico: Guaymas, Sonora






After driving many hours, the day was ending and I was tired. So I splurged and paid too much for a lovely hacienda /hotel on the ocean.  I could have rented an RV spot with my van, but it was too nice to pass up.
Besides, they said I could bring Maddie as long as she didn't go on the bed.  Okay.

As soon as I got in the room, Maddie jumped on the bed and did her snuffling and scratching bit.  She LOVES this part!  I do too.   There was a pool and a stunnng view overlooking the ocean. 

It was beautiful.  I spent a couple of hours talking with a sixy something wood carver Juan Paulo,  while taking pics of the sunset and enjoying the ambience and his stories.  Then off to dinner where the waiters were so cool, both had been there for the last 40 years; Francisco and Camilo.  We watched women's boxing on the big screen and talked about the old days when the resort was always full of people.  They spend a lot of their days just standing around now, but seemingly still as happy as ever.

In the morning I had chilaquiles for breakfast and was so excited; sitting looking out onto a big plaza with the morning sun touching it,  was the biggest fig tree I've ever seen.  It was bigger than the oaks in New Orleans.  Stunning.  There had been a wedding the night before and the guys were sweeping up the square with big long homemade brooms like I'd seen in Venice.

I walked around the beautiful grounds in the morning sun, taking it all in before I packed up and headed south out of town.  

No comments: