Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sunday Sushi Nights






The best gig so far has to be belly dancing at Sunday Sushi Nights, under a thatched roof palapa/restaurant on the beach in Yelapa.  It's called The Baracuda, and I was asked a month ago, by my fabulous friends from Tofino to perform for their Sunday night sushi offerings.  I usually get there just at dusk, the place is always packed with people from all over, gringos, mexicans, europeans, and many local dogs.  The sushi is being rolled and the drinks are being served and I plug in my ipod, after changing in the little candle lit non-gendered bathroom.  The vibe is chill and the atmosphere is one of anticipation.  Jai, the handsome bartender gives me a bottle of water as I place my zills on the bar and cool down from the long hike to the beach from my place in Donkey Heights.  There has always been something that keeps me from getting there earlier, but everyone is so cool.  It's Mexico after all.
Paul and Karedwyn are the most amazing people.  We all pitched in a month ago to get the place clean and running and they have done an amazing job considering the many challenges of running an eating establishment in small town Mexico.   The sushi rocks.
The people in Yelapa are now hooked and it's become a Sunday night ritual.   A couple of weeks ago, I gave bellydance lessons to the kitchen staff ladies and Casio, our waiter.  Olga wanted to learn some moves to show her husband.  This last time I asked him how it went and he grinned widely. 
Guess it worked.

I sweep the concrete stage that sits a little above the sand floor, sort of like a pre-show meditation.  I feel like Cinderella without any evil family members.  Everyone pulls together and we get the sound system working, the spotlight and the introduction. While I'm dancing my last couple of songs, Karedwyn takes a kid's pink sand bucket around the audience to seek tips and it magically fills up.   I have my own stage, something unusual for me.  Even thoug I have to dance around some dogs. . .  It's so fun and the people are wonderful.  I love it here.  

1 comment:

ScintillateMe said...

Oh - this adventure sounds fabulous!
You write wonderfully, and I can practically hear the ring of your zills. Keep the stories coming, my dear!

Love, Jen